Basil & garlic are in season, so this is the perfect time of year to make pesto! I adapted this lemon zesty, non-dairy, vegan recipe from the Whole Life Nutrition cookbook (2nd Ed.), using walnuts in place of pine nuts and adding a few leaves of kale for extra nutritional value.
- 3 cups of fresh basil leaves (tightly packed)
- 3 leaves of "curly" kale (de-ribbed)
- 1/2 cup of walnuts
- 3 fresh garlic cloves (large)
- 2 tsps lemon zest (organic lemon)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup of Extra Virgin Olive Oil (I mixed in ~ 1/8 cup of "Butter" flavoured olive oil from Sunshine Coast Olive Oil, but this is optional)
- 2 Tbsps fresh lemon juice (organic lemon)
Place walnuts, garlic, lemon zest and sea salt in a food processor and pulse until mixture is coarsely ground. Add basil & kale. While processor is running, slowly add olive oil and lemon juice.